Frequently Asked Questions

Answers To Commonly Questions

What is the difference between the Technician License and the Irrigator License? 

An Irrigation Technician (IT) is a person who works under the supervision of a license irrigator to install, maintain, alter, repair service, or supervise installation of an irrigation system. A technician may not work on their own by doing installs or repairs.

Landscape Irrigator (LI) can sell, design, consult, install, maintain, alter, repair, or service an irrigation system

I want to start my own irrigation business, which license do I need?

You will need to obtain the Landscap Irrigator (LI) license in which you can sell, design, consult, install, maintain, alter, repair, or service an irrigation system. To find providers that offer the Landscape Irrigator Licensing Course (0010), please visit

​​​How do I maintain my license once I receive it?

You will need to take classes for "Continuing Education Units" (CEUs) once every 3 years. The amount of CEUs differ with the different types of licenses.

Landscape Irrigators - 24 hours

Irrigation Technicians - 16 hours

​Occupational licenses are valid for three years and must be renewed with the TCEQ.

Renewal applicants must have completed the required CE requirements, submit a renewal application and a criminal history attestation, and pay the renewal fee

What do I do if my license has expired? 

A license or registration may not be renewed if it has been:

  • Expired for more than 30 days and an application has not been received by the executive director or postmarked

  • Within 30 days after the expiration date of the license or registration;

  • revoked; or

  • replaced by a higher class of license.

An individual whose license or registration renewal application is not received by the executive director or is not postmarked within 30 days after the license or registration expiration date, may not renew the license or registration.

These individuals must submit a new application with associated fee, meet the current education, training and experience requirements and pass the applicable examination.

​​How soon can I take the Irrigation Technician exam once I complete the 16 hour course?

You will need to complete the online application. In order to submit an application, you must visit the TCEQ's online application link at:

Once received, reviewed and approved, the TCEQ will mail you an approval letter to the mailing address on your application. Processing time is approximately 3-4 weeks, barring any deficiencies.

Once your approval letter has been received, contact your local computer-based testing center, for exam availability and registration.

Who offers the Technician Exam and where can I take it?

As of Sept 1st, 2022, all exams are now offered on computer. Most exams have switched to the computer based testing (CBT) format. You may visit the TCEQ's website link to see the testing locations at:

Is the Technician Exam offered in Spanish?

Spanish exams are now available by computer-based test (CBT), however not all test sites may offer it in Spanish. You must call to check the availability of the Spanish version.  

Contact Us